Peppers, Eggplants and Tomatoes, Oh, My!

13 Jul

A trip to the community garden this past weekend resulted in the harvesting of a few white eggplants called “ghostbusters,” a purple eggplant called “little fingers,” multiple beautiful banana peppers and a few tomatoes. Together with some garlic and onions from my last Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) delivery and mixed herbs from my patio garden, all of these fresh out of the garden wonders were chopped up.  Then the peppers, onions and garlic were slowly sauteed with olive oil until tender, then combined with brown ground beef and slowly cooked for quite a spell. Salt and pepper made their grand entrance to the mix during the cooking process. Using my lovely Le Creuset french oven pot, the eggplant was then layered with the meat/pepper/onion/garlic mixture and put in the oven for more slow cooking. Result:  Poof! yummy creation.  Well, more like a drawn out “poooooooooof,” given the slow cooking process, but you get the point.

This Week's CSA Delivery

I am so totally loving this summer of harvesting and cooking. Now I just need to get moving to find new recipes because this week’s CSA delivery arrived last evening and my community garden plot and patio container garden are both on the verge of an eggplant, tomato and green bean explosion. Oh. my!

Advertisements

6 Responses to “Peppers, Eggplants and Tomatoes, Oh, My!”

1. Tammy July 14, 2011 at 11:21 am #

Mario Batali’s eggplant caponata is a really great way to use eggplant.

• coletterausch July 14, 2011 at 11:29 am #

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I looked up the recipe and it looks very interesting. Will try this weekend.

2. Heinz Kokler July 17, 2011 at 8:44 am #

Lovely daughter of mine,

reading the recipe is very interesting, need invitation to find out more about your cooking.

DAD from Hamburg, Germany

• coletterausch July 17, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

Invitation to US? You got it. Calvin was just asking about when you are coming………Swantje and friend coming in September.

3. Heinz Köhler July 17, 2011 at 9:11 am #

Sounds good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Want to learn more about your cooking.
    Daddy invites you and the other two for
    a big X-mas cookin’ session in Germany.

Love and peace

• coletterausch July 17, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

We are planning on it! But I will require in exchange that you teach me how to make Grun Kohl and a few other German dishes.